Chelvaní Doisseia was the second city founded by the Lilitai upon reaching Thet, in 1065 lilpo. Its name (Retrograde Doisseia) refers to the fact that the river Doisseia flows eastward where the city was founded, yet the majority of the river flows westward. Retrograde Doisseia was located in the foothills of Lilikoisa
, at the source of the waterway.
Although less renowned in its time than its sister city Survaní (Anterograde) Doisseia
, Retrograde Doisseia became much better-known in later eras, as it survived the Shattering to become the great city of Dis
. As a result it became surviving centre for the study of Lilitic art and architecture from the earliest years of settlement.
At its height, the city was the centre of the Doisseia Valley regional government, several arts institutions, and one of the most active cultural forges on the planet. It was often iconized as a haven for romance, owing primarily to Cossipian myths about the source of the river; even the Lilitai themselves said Oshefal tse Ossau woninkai, túzegím Survaníafal; ekla oshefal Zellika hé Zelmota, ossezegím Chelvaníau
: "To learn of the universe, walk to Survaní; but for its order and its beauty, you must go to Chelvaní."
It is generally understood that the Lilitai chose the location of Retrograde Doisseia for mining reasons; Anterograde Doisseia was in the superior place for agriculture, trade, and exploration, and was located near several entrances to the Tletkettoyic underworld. However, there is a long-persisting legend (which remains unsubstantiated) that the reproduction rates of the Lilitai were paltry prior to the settling of the upper valley, and that proximity to the caves in the mountains reminded them of the rugged natural beauty of Illera. More seriously this has been suggested as a possible influence on the city's creative community.
"A Dúmelíu il a Raipetoma-Greñkereshkí Sithstíu" (The City of the Silver-Covered Tongue) is a common epithet of Chelvaní Doisseia, in reverence of its bards and authors.